Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVK) has the mandate of -
1. Conducting On-Farm Testing (OFT) for identifying technologies in terms of location specific sustainable land use systems.
2. Organizing training to update the extension personnel with emerging advances in agricultural research on regular basis.
3. Organizing short and long term training courses in agriculture and allied disciplines for the farmers and rural youths with emphasis on Learning by doing for higher production on farms and generating self-employment.
4. Organizing Front Line Demonstrations (FLDs) on various crops to generate production data and feed back information.
Pursuing the mandate of the KVK, following approach has been adopted for conducting various activities -
1. Demonstration of the latest agricultural technologies to the farmers as well as extension workers of State Departments of Agriculture/Horticulture/ Fishery/ Animal Science/ NGOs with a view to reduce the time lag between the technology generation and its adoption.
2. Test and verify the technologies in the socio-economic conditions of the farmers with a view to study the production constraints and to modify the technologies to make them appropriate.
3. Impart trainings to the practicing farmers/ farm women, rural youth and field level extension functionaries by following the methods of Teaching by doing and Learning by doing.
4. Back-up with training and communication supports to the district level development departments viz; Agriculture/ Horticulture/ Fisheries/ Animal science and NGOs in their extension programmes
Priority Thrust Areas
-Poverty alleviation through diversification of agriculture and self-employment.
-Promotion of low cost technology in agriculture, animal husbandry and fisheries.
-Soil and water conservation through Integrated Farming System.
-Encouraging Farms to grow fruit trees, other than rubber trees.
-Adoption of Integrated Nutrient and Water Management.
-Popularisation of Integrated Pest & Disease Management .
-Water Harvesting for increased crop intensity & food production.
-Promotion of eco-friendly organic farming practices.
-Empowerment of farm women through Self Help Groups.
-Formation of Innovative Farmers' Interest Group & Development of Master Trainer
-Encouraging unemployed rural youth to divert their energy towards gainful employment.
The KVK have constituted the Scientific Advisory Committee as per the guidelines of ICAR which comprises of representatives from ICAR institutes, Agriculture University, Development departments of the District, Media personnel, Financial institutions and progressive farmers and farm women. The Scientific Advisory Committee meetings are conducted to get necessary guidance and support to carry out the mandated activities of KVK in a more planned and scientific manner. Programme coordinator is responsible for presenting the annual progress reports, action plans, annual accounts and all other relevant matters for approval to the committee as well as implementation of the recommendations of the committee. The committee meet twice in a year.